Suffolk celebrated 10 years of parkrun in September 2022, which saw the initiative not only return successfully after the pandemic, but grow with 4 new events in Mildenhall, Haverhill, Stowmarket and Rendlesham.
There are now 22 parkruns established in Suffolk of which 15 are 5K events and 7 are Junior 2K events, with more planned to start in the spring of 2023.
Presently 27.7% (210,989 people) of the Suffolk population live within 1 mile of a parkrun with a further 81.7% (622,686 people) within 5 miles and they are all completely free to participate in.
Paul Sinton-Hewitt CBE parkrun founder reflects on record breaking year
Paul Sinton-Hewitt founder of parkrun reflects on the past year below and talks about how parkrun continues to evolve and how they are ever more committed to putting parkruns in places they are needed most and removing the barriers that many people face when thinking about taking part for the first time.
Suffolk parkrun 2022 Highlights
- 10th Anniversary of parkrun in Suffolk celebrated as part of the Festival of Suffolk
- 4 (2 junior) new parkruns established in Mildenhall (26 June), Stowmarket (15 May), Haverhill (13 Nov) and Rendlesham (Feb 22) in 2022
- 1,004 parkrun events held in Suffolk across 15 different locations
- 104,459 finishes across all Suffolk parkrun events
- 94,911 finishes across all 5K events with an average 129 finishes per event per week
- 9,548 finishes across all Junior events with an average 35 finishes per event per week
- Lowestoft parkrun was the most popular event in 2022 with 16,808 finishes and an average 330 finishes per week
- 5k Your Way Move Against Cancer takes place at Bury St Edmunds parkrun the last Saturday of each month.
You can find out more about parkrun here and see all 22 Suffolk locations on the map.